Friday, October 8, 2010

Post Trip Entry #1

So I am sure that since so few people read this while I was on the trip...even fewer people will read this now that I am relocated to San Diego. But when I started this blog, and failed originally, I really wanted to write a blog about fitness....inside out. I wanted to write about my struggles and triumphs, and provide you with some great ideas as well. And, well, since I finally got into the habit of writing this blog...I am going to keep writing this blog. We will see what happens. :)  I have a feeling there will be days I write a ton, and days I only write a little bit, I will do ALOT of reposting of articles and blogs that I read...so bare with me while I figure this thing out! :)

The question has come up several times over the past month as I transitioned out of my old job, and then packed up my life, and then drove across the country, "What has been the most difficult part..health wise?" Well the answer is easy...FORGIVING MYSELF! Here is the thing, unless you have recently packed up/sold/gave away everything you owned and then quit a great job, and then drove across the country to a new life....well unless you haven't done this you wouldn't realize how stressful it is. So working out, eating well, everything I "normally" try to do flew out the window. So I made a conscious decision to just do the best I could and make my life as easy as possible. Again EASY was the name of the game! What does that mean...it means I may not have ate organic, whole, non-processed foods the whole time I was on my trip but I also didn't eat McDonald's (Although to be truthful I would have if I had no other options. This topic did come up with a friend who said she would just not eat, and I was like hell no....I can make a "healthier" decision anywhere and I really think that will always be better than not eating). No sooner do we have this discussion then does my friend and gym owner Derek pass on this blog. Its all about eating clean at restaurants. I thought it was great so here it is: http://solidbodyfit.com/workouts/2010/10/07/eating-clean-series-chillis/ This first installment is about Chili's, but I believe he will be doing a whole bunch of restaurants so check back in when you can.  Soooo...I digress.....FORGIVING MYSELF. See the biggest part of MY FITNESS is being ok with the waxes and wanes, not beating myself up when I fall of the wagon, and NOT getting crazy when I am on the wagon. I went through a stage of my life when I listened to an ex more than I listened to myself. I heard his words in my head not my own. Let's just say those words were not always nice and were leading me done a path of self destruction. I never ate. I exercised constantly and I beat myself up for never being as skinny, as strong or as perfect as he wanted me to be. The truth was by NOT eating, I couldn't get strong. And by not being strong I certainly wasn't the perfect ME I knew I could be. And the constant exercise really only helped him out as my working out was beneficial for him professionally (long fitness story for another time). What's my point? My point is this...I am not going to fret over 3-4 weeks with poor workouts. I am NOT gonna cry over extra calories. I certainly am NOT gonna feel bad about a few extra pounds. Now that I am settled in Cali, I am getting back on track and in no time will be back to "normal." And guess what.....by not caring, by doing what was easy, by forgiving myself...I am the fittest I have EVER been...inside out!

MEAL OF THE DAY:
(I am not a nutritionist...maybe one of my nutritionist friends an take these ideas and make them "perfect." But I think that as long as the foods are whole, and the portions are good...we are on our way!)
Egg Frittatas (I adopted this from www.hungrygirl.com and then made some changes for me)
3-Cheese Bacon-Apple-Bella Frittata


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups fat-free liquid egg whites substitute
1 cup chopped portabello mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1 large apple  finely chopped
2 slices Meatless bacon or extra-lean turkey bacon
2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, chopped
1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. fat-free non-dairy liquid creamer (like Coffee-mate Original Fat Free)
Sprinkle of Parmesean cheese

Directions:
Preheat broiler.

In a medium bowl, combine egg substitute and creamer. Whisk together for 1 minute. Add Swiss cheese and cheddar cheese. Set aside.

Bring a large oven-safe pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove.

Add bacon and mushrooms, and cook until bacon is slightly crispy and mushrooms and spinach begin to soften, about 3 - 5 minutes.

Add apple and continue to cook until softened, about 2 minutes.

Pour egg mixture into the pan, and tilt pan back and forth to ensure egg mixture is evenly distributed. Make sure cheese is evenly distributed, as well. If needed, run a spatula along the sides of the pan to help egg to flow underneath the bacon, mushrooms, and apple. Cook for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat.
Sprinkle Parmesean cheese evenly on top of the frittata. Place under the broiler. Allow to cook for about 4 minutes, until the egg has puffed up and the mixture is set.

1 comment:

  1. Learning to forgive yourself is one of the first rules to leading a healthy well balanced life. Not always easy but I hear you. Still after all these years trying to learn not to freak out when i miss a work out. Constant struggle. FYI I love the blog and loved sharing your trip across country. You guys made me giggle

    ReplyDelete